Fourth Report of Work Done - San Antonio, Texas Stop
March 22, 2002
MAJOR NEWS -- It's alive!!
At approximately 7:15 PM CST on Tuesday, March 19th, the Charity AMX roared to life for
the first time. The engine started via the ignition key, and idled for about five minutes.
Everything seems to be working fine...no noticeable leaks, misses, or any other such
maladies. The Georgia boys knew what they were doing!
Other work completed last night included the re-installation of the freshly painted fan,
fender support rods, and battery tray; re-wiring of the front end and reinstallation of
the headlights; installation of the new coil and horn relay, and miscellaneous other
engine bay-related tasks. I also received the gas tank, which is not nearly as bad as I
had been led to believe...there is only a pinhole near the filler neck. We are going to
pursue having it resealed, and I will let you all know if we need your assistance on that.
We have also decided to go forward with the installation of a stock exhaust system. This
will this allow the car to be driven while in Kenosha. If a subsequent club wishes to
install the Trendsetter sidepipes, this can be changed at that time.
- Since the gas tank is savable, we probably won't need Mike Hathaway (email@example.com) to try and pull
the '70 Javelin junkyard tank...especially considering the snow!
- Joe Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org) is going to send
an 'Under Hood Seal Kit'. We may also want to go ahead and get the 'simulated exhaust'
rocker moldings in case the Trendsetter thing doesn't work out.
- Gary Nielsen (email@example.com) is
sending us two reproduction sill plates.
- Matt Haas (firstname.lastname@example.org) is going to send a fuel
tank sending unit gasket and strainer. Matt also informed me that Walt Garson (Bigwaltsshop@aol.com) does grille restoration.
Has anyone worked with
- No work from Kevin Dalley yet, but we are making arrangements to get the bumpers over to
Houston for rechroming.
- And last, but not least, Ron Akerman (AMX1970@aol.com)
has resurfaced, and may be able to get our quarter panel hung here in San Antonio!! Ron
himself works in the Indianapolis area, so the car may be headed that way after Kenosha if
Ron can finish the remaining body work!
PARTS STILL NEEDED:
- Correct Steering Wheel. We need a good, black steering wheel for a 70 AMX. Tom
Benvie has offered the AMX center horn bar if a non-AMX steering wheel can be
- Directional light lenses for the grille. We now have a beautiful set of housings...all
we need are the lenses.
- AMX nameplate for the grille.
- Black passenger door armrest (Do these need the wood grain overlay?)
- Taillight Assemblies. We have the complete set, but they are MASSIVELY pitted and nasty.
Kevin Dalley and George Graham (email@example.com)
of the Houston club have offered a decent set in exchange for the nasty set.
However, if we want a good set (i.e. restored with no pits) we should pursue
having the existing units redone. The lenses are dark and clouded (from age) and I noticed
yesterday that one is partially melted.
- Fuel Tank Sending Unit. Does anyone know of reproduction units, just in case we need it?
- Air Cleaner canister parts. As far as I know, we still need:
(4.015-1) 3191898 - DUCT, Carburetor Air ('68-70 V8 w/4-bbl)
(4.015-3) 3192223 - DUCT, Exhaust Manifold Hot Air ('68-70 exc. 390)
(4.088) 3198376 - CLEANER, Carburetor Air ('70 360 V8 w/'cold air induction')
(12.001-16) 3198374 - DOOR, Hood Air Scoop Rear Duct ('70 w/'cold air induction')
(12.001-17) 3198375 - RETAINER, Hood Air Scoop Rear Duct Door ('70 w/'cold air induction')
(12.001-18) 3198370 - CONTROL, Hood Air Scoop Damper ('70 w/'cold air induction')
- Tires. Tom Benvie is currently collecting contributions in order to purchase a full set
of reproduction performance tires. The existing tires (two pairs of radials)
are already mounted on the car and look quite good...they will suffice until someone is
ready to finish the wheels. Another Alamo AMC club member has some more 'Magnum 500'
wheels...we may yet get a matching set pieced together!
- Seal, fuel tank sending unit to gas tank. I would buy a couple of these for myself if
someone has a source!
- Rear Leaf Springs. Just started looking at this the other night...the rear springs are
rather tired and should be replaced.
- Hood 'bumpers'...not the rubbers stoppers, the adjustable 'screw in' bumpers. These were
rusted to oblivion!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
The Charity AMX has its own Internet website hosted by Matt Haas:
The San Antonio contact for the car is me:
San Antonio, TX